Tuesday, December 27, 2005

A Working Dog

How I wish that I could enjoy Christmas vacation just like kids do. Playing with their new toys. I know this is a big shock, but mom's don't get vacations, like, ever. Okay, okay, well maybe someday it'll happen, but I'm still in the stage of "total twenty-four hour dependence"- meaning someone is depending on me ALL the time, not the other way around. (And even though- I'd really like to wait a good two years to have another kid, the thought has occurred to me to just go ahead and have another one sooner so I don't get too used to having any freedom, and then forgo having a third kid at all, but I digress...) Yesterday, was nice though...I never changed out of my pajamas and the only work I did was prepare leftovers from Christmas and nurse Beau. And no complaints from the other half (who has a hard time grasping the concept of rest, but I love him anyways and at least the house projects he starts actually are finished in a reasonable amount of time.) But this week in which I am longing to just sit and play with some yarn and my new knitting needles, spend my gift certificates, and eat the leftover candy, I still have to do laundry, and feed Beau, and feed Drew, and feed Kevin, keep things clean, (including myself), pay the bills, and so on and so forth. Just lamenting the fact, the FACT, that a mothers work is never done. Just wanted to share my pity party with you.

And not forgetting that there is the other half's side of work never being done, here is Kev's quote from last week: I asked him what kind of a dog he'd want if we were to get one, and he said, "One that goes to work and pays all the bills."

8 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Okay now see, we do have something to look forward to in our old age lol. Peace and quiet, well that and grandkids

7:33 PM  
Blogger ^starshine said...

Peace and quiet? What is that exactly??? :)

11:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Old Lady checks in: I can now leave the house at will and take long solitary walks. I could even be gone over night or past meal time and the remaining three persons would survive. I just don't know how long it would take to find everything and pick up the pieces when I return :)
Well do I remember the days when I complained to husband, "You can just leave and run to the parts store or library on a moments notice. I have to arrange for a babysitter." I also remember the day, 32 years ago when the husband came home at 4:30 in the afternoon and I was STILL sitting in the rocking chair, in my robe and ugly glasses, unscrubbed and rocking a fitful infant. There IS life after 40 or 50 girls, and its a pretty carefree independent one in many ways! Do your nurturing well and the little ones will grow up to be tall ones who carry you where you need to go in your old age.

8:02 AM  
Blogger fuzzypeach said...

Yeah, I'd like one of those dogs too!

12:28 PM  
Blogger Becky Behrens said...

Can I join your pity party? Where do you find a dog like that?

3:43 PM  
Blogger Tee/Tracy said...

No one tells you how it will be - and you know what? I'm not telling the next generation either. It'll be our awful little secret. Then when we're old ladies we can grin and wink at each other and say, "Poor young mother..." ROFL ;)

2:16 PM  
Blogger sarahgrace said...

To Jill, fuzzypeach, Becky-sure, I'll let you know when I find one...

11:58 AM  
Blogger Jenn said...

I remember going from Beauty Queen to Dairy Queen. Between pregancies and nursing I didn't see 'Aunt Flo' for three years straight. (Those were the days..)

It goes so fast but I hear you. I remember just wanting to get a shower in by noon without the presence of a baby in a bouncy chair in the middle of the bathroom. :o)

10:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home