Friday, December 23, 2005

In "Light" of Christmas...

From the MOPs daily devotional:

I Can't Share My Light
Christ tells His followers, "You are the light of the world." Well, what if we think our light isn't good enough?
Does any human soul feel up to the task of sharing our faith?

I can't . . . I have such a small light. How could I possibly make a difference?
I can't . . . I might fail. I might mess up at sharing my faith.
I can't . . . I don't want to get involved. Sharing with others is risky and expensive.
I can't . . . I don't want to offend.
I can't . . . I don't have a dramatic story to tell. It'd be different if I did.
I can't . . . I don't know all the answers.
I can't . . . I don't know how to relate to people who aren't like me.

And yet, we who have God's light burning within us are asked to share that light with others. All of us. I have this gut conviction that God wouldn't invite us to be a part of something impossible. In my soul, I have a feeling that we make the whole share-your-faith thing much more difficult than God makes it. I have this suspicion that our "I can'ts" won't hold up in real life when we meet a person stuck in a dark and hopeless situation. We can hide behind them, but God's light will poke out of our very beings-if only from our very real human cracks.


MOPS groups (Mothers of Preschoolers) are meeting all over the country -so join us as we TWINKLE and shine during this season of mothering! Visit our Web site at www.MOPS.org to find a MOPS Group in your area.

This really speaks to me...not only during the Christmas season, but every day of the year- this is what it's all about.
I wish each and every one of you a very Merry Christmas- and as the cards that I sent out say, "May the gifts of the season, renew your spirit."

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amen!! Good words!

11:58 AM  
Blogger Heather Hansen said...

I've thought about looking into Mops... Maybe I will. :)

12:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you can find a MOPS group nearby, do it! MOPS was my grip on the wholesome part of the outside world when my kids were tiny. My kids also loved the "play pool", lessons and adult friends. I needed and enjoyed the fellowship with other intelligent young (at the time :))moms so much that I stayed on as a leader when my youngest moved into kindergarten. Later I transitioned into a MIT (Moms in touch) group which I stumbled onto at the kid's elementary school. The women I met in both these groups are now scattered across the continent, yet, I still think of them as close, dear, friends.
Cherry

8:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home