Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Ideas and Ways to be "Present" for your Kids

There has been a discussion on better parenting going on over at Rattling Around. We have all been recalling ways to be more "present" for your children, and what we really mean by "present" is more available, more attentive, listening better, and focusing better on our children. Pezmama, listed ways to be more present with her children, so what follows is my list of ideas and ways to be more present with my children. The idea here is to share all of our ideas with one another in the hopes of just helping each other become better parents, so if you have any ideas to add, or would like to do a list on your own blog, please do, and let us know so we can check them out.

* Sacrifice time on the computer for time with your kids.
* Get down on the floor with them, wrestle, throw balls with them, play their games, teach them new games.
* Start conversations with them, ask them about their day, their likes and dislikes, etc.
* Don't tune them out, listen to what they're saying to you, treat them like what they have to say is important to you.
* Encourage them to help you with your projects.
* Be more patient, don't tap your foot when it takes them 10 minutes to put their left shoe on their right foot.
* When they're watching TV, watch with them, sit with your arms around them.
* Dance and sing with them.
* Get them involved in their own projects and help with them.
* Do something with them that they like to do.
* Go for walks together.
* Schedule better times to talk on the phone, or keep conversations to a minimum.
* Don't sweat the small stuff, don't worry about toys on the floor, or, ehem...spilled milk.
* When you're angry with them, whisper instead of yelling.


So that is what I've got so far, and I will be adding if I think of more. I know Pezmama and I would love to hear your ideas so fire away!

3 Comments:

Blogger Sarah said...

I would've thought there would be TONS of comments on this--these are all great ideas! When I look back on a tough day we've had, it's usually because I've spent more time talking on the phone than being with my boys. I'm going to keep your tips in mind, and I'll be back to read more. BTW, I've always wished my middle name was Grace. It's Jean, and I detest it. I'm jealous!! :)

3:50 PM  
Blogger ^starshine said...

Really good suggestions. I know I've been trying to stop more and just tell my girls that I love them. I'm also so guilty of just sending them off to bed that I often miss out on those cuddley bedtime snuggles and kisses. And when we are out driving and rushing to the next thing, I'm actually talking and singing with my girls instead of trying to tune them out. That seems to keep them happier and quieter! Go Figure! D'uh!! LOL

4:07 PM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

Those are awesome tips. I'm so guilty of tuning out much of what they say. I think when the twins were babies I developed the ability to ignore their voices as a coping mechanism, but now that they're four, I can't turn it off! My mom was so good at always stopping what she was doing to listen to whatever I wanted to tell her, and I really want to be that way for my kids too. I've been noticing that blogging helps me listen, because the more I write down what they say, the more I realize how precious and fleeting it is. Plus, now that we're finally getting some warm weather, I've been outside with them, which helps because there's nothing else I can do but watch and listen to them play. (We don't have a fence on our yard yet.)

5:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home